Reasons to get Active Outdoors
- Scientific studies have proven that regular exposure to an outdoor environment with ‘green’ space, like a park is good for mental wellbeing. Even better is exposure to a ‘green-blue’ space which is a park with some water feature, like a lake or river.
- Exposure to Vitamin D – There have been many studies lately showing that increasing the levels of Vitamin D in our bodies is very beneficial. And there is no better way to increase those levels than to get out in the sun. The sun is a great mood booster, and the vitamin D it provides is wonderful. It makes your bones stronger, strengthens your immune system and helps protect your body against cancer. Although vitamin D can be obtained from other sources, the sun is still the best source for the human body. (2)
- Being in the outdoors takes your minds off things. Being outside forces you to shift your focus to what the weather is doing. You cannot not notice when it is cold, windy, sunny or raining outside. And it gives you a break from the number of endless chores that you may create for yourself at home.
- Being in the outdoors is a good way you can spend quality time with your children or with yourself. In the outdoors there are no TVs or computers. If you choose to switch off your mobile phones then you can create an environment where you can just focus on being on your own or with your kids, without any distractions.
- It is a good way to help your children to learn about the world around them. PLUS You and children can get very creative with materials from the outdoors, that way you will have activities for after to keep them busy!
- It’s free. Local parks around most towns are free to visit and can save you many pennies, compared to regular visits to the gym
- People (including children) who exercise frequently in the outdoors sleep better at night.
- A children’s outdoor playground is the ULTIMATE gym, you can do numerous exercises on all of the things your kids play on!